Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Making a Homemade Pizza - Dough Recipe Included


Its making me sad that there isn't any left in my fridge :(
So I found out something new today: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is back. Not the movie with Megan Fox, I knew about that one...

I think it's safe to say they're heading in a different direction...
This one's on Nick Jr or something and LuLu told me all about it. She was so excited I didn't quite have the heart to be like, ya girl I know all about TMNT.  Anyhow - obviously Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made me think of pizza so I figured it was a good a time as any to get a post on making pizza together.

You can't argue with that kind of logic
Hubs and I made our weekly trip to Half Price Books and I found this gem for about $7.00: Pizza by Pete Evans and it is from his recipe I adapted my own. 


Notes

1. I went all out. Because I have a love for all things kitchen-y I bought a pizza stone and a pizza peel. I think you could manage it without the peel but it really did help. I really recommend the stone
though. This wasn't my first time making pizza and before I've used a cookie sheet but I really felt like this came out SO SO much better. But it's not like the cookie sheet was bad.

2. The book says I can make and freeze the dough, I haven't tried it yet but I think I'm going to freeze some tomorrow for Saturday's pizza party.

So go forth and make pizza with what you have and remember:

Truer words...
Special Equipment

1. Pizza Peel (this is what I bought)
2. Pizza Stone (the stone I used)
3. Parchment Paper (NOT wax paper - it is not the same and it will burn. Also if you are using a cookie sheet you don't need parchment paper)

Ingredients

For the Dough
1. 1 cup warm water (between 100 - 115F, use a thermometer if you have one)
2. 1 packet dry yeast
3. 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
4. 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
5. 3 cups of bread flour (you could use regular flour, but bread flour yields better results)
6. 1 1/4 tsp salt
7.  Extra flour for dusting

Toppings (obviously sub out your own here if you want)
1. Mozzarella cheese (the shredded Kraft variety)
2. Pepperonis

Directions

Make the Dough

1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl
2. In a small bowl mix warm water, yeast, and sugar until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes until frothy and foamy. Then stir in the olive oil

This is what foamy yeast looks like after I added the oil
3. Make a well in your flour mixture. This means use your hand to scoop out a little hollow of flour in your bowl.
Confession: I forgot to take a pic of this part - so I found this online. But your well should be in your bowl.
4. Pour your yeast mixture into the flour and begin to work the ingredients until you get a dough. It should be damp and a little sticky - don't worry if you don't incorporate all the flour.

5. Take your dough out and start to knead it on a lightly floured surface.  Kneading means to kind of stretch and hit and generally abuse the dough. You'll take it and fold it over and smoosh it with the heels of your hands. Do this for about 5 minutes (I'd set a timer so you don't cheat when your arms start to burn) until the dough is smooth and elastic.

All ready to rise!
6. Lightly rub the inside of a clean large bowl with olive oil and place the dough inside. Roll the dough around so its all lightly oiled. Cover it with a dish towel or Saran Wrap and leave in a warm place for 50 minutes until the dough has doubled in size.

7. Punch the extra air out of the dough and roll it into a ball.  (The says to divide up the dough, but the guy likes super thin crust, I used the whole dough for our pizza and I thought it was perfect)

8. Place dough ball on an oiled surface to proof for 15 minutes (make sure its covered)

Make the Pizza

1. If you're using the pizza stone: Rub your stone LIGHTLY with olive oil, the surface shouldn't be greasy. Preheat your oven to 500F with the stone inside.  Once it hits 500F it will take another 15 minutes for your stone to heat all the way up. *when I used our stone for the first time our oven smoked just a little, I watched like a hawk and it never looked like it was going to catch fire, but be forewarned
If you are using a cookie sheet:  Preheat oven to 425F with the sheet outside

2. If you are using the stone: roll your dough out on parchment paper that is on the peel (or on the counter if you're going sans peel) into a circle. If you're cool do it like a pro and spin it in the air...if you're me, bust out your rolling pin so the dough doesn't crash on the floor becoming immediately gross and inedible...

Juggling? Seriously? You are trying to make me look bad
If you are using the sheet - make your pizza directly on the sheet.

3. Stab your dough with a fork to avoid air bubbles.


4. Spread your sauce.

I use the back of a big spoon
5. Add your toppings
One day I'll get them to let me have mushrooms
6. Bake!

If you're using the stone: lower the temperature to 425F (you could keep it at 500F like the book recommends but parchment paper says its only good up to 420F so I didn't want to push it. I don't like fires. Use your peel to put your pizza WITH the parchment paper onto the stone. Or with no peel, I'd suggest using the handle on the stone, pulling it out of the oven, and using the corners of the parchment paper to get your pizza on it. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until bubbly and golden.

Please notice the chef to peel size ratio...
If you're using the sheet: Throw your pizza in the oven for 10-15 minutes until bubbly and golden.

We had some pepperoni slippage but it was still delicious

Who needs take out?





No comments:

Post a Comment