Saturday, July 20, 2013

Key Lime Pie

Yummy and Tart!
So real Key Lime Pie is not green. It's not super sweet. It is, however, super tasty.

It isn't a hard dessert to make - and while there are a couple pieces of equipment that help you can do it with stuff you already have. The only time consuming part is juicing the key limes. Not going to lie - that part takes awhile.

Key Limes are not like regular limes and you can't substitute them out. Luckily most dedicated groceries stores (i.e. HEB or Publix vs. Walmart/Target) carry key limes. I've found them in IN, GA, and TX.

The sugary sweet of the graham cracker crust and whip cream help offset the super tart lime custard - it is the perfect summer treat! I was going to garnish it with some sliced key limes but...I threw them out without thinking (still kicking myself) I will definitely re-post with a better picture next time I make it!

Special Equipment:

1. Glass pie pan
2. Food processor (or baggie and meat tenderizer/fist)
3. Juicer (or elbow grease)
4. Sieve
5. Microplane grater

Ingredients:

for Crust

1.  1 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers (about 9) - make sure they are plain and not cinnamon
2. 2 tbsp sugar
3. 6 tbsp melted butter

For Filling

1.  1 can sweetened condensed milk
2. 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsps key lime juice
3. zest of 1 key lime (for added tartness but you can omit)
4. 4 egg yolks

For Topping

1. Premade whip cream
or
1.  1 cup heavy whipping cream
2.  2 1/2 tbsp sugar
3. 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350F

2. Juice your key limes. This may take you awhile which is why I suggest doing it first.

I slice a bunch of key limes in advance so I don't have to keep stopping to cut more
I like to use a juicer, then I strain into a measuring cup.

My key lime juice and zest
3. Make your crust. Crush your graham crackers into tiny crumbs. I've done it with a baggie and my fist but it is WAY easier with a food processor.

It took 30 seconds. It was awesome.
Add your sugar to your crumbs and mix. Then add your melted butter to create a loose crumb mixture.

I had a super cute helper!
4. Press your crust down into your pie plate. You don't need grease because of the butter. You may have extra crust.

All dumped in.
The pre-baked crust - all pressed down
5. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.

6. Meanwhile, mix your condensed milk and 4 egg yolks. Then whisk in your key lime juice and zest.

7. When your crust is done, take it out. Leave the oven on. Pour your filling into the still hot crust.

It will look a lot more yellow. My camera was being weird.
Bake for about 15-18 minutes until set (i.e. if you shake it gently it won't slosh)

Pie is baked!
8. Cool your pie completely and then cover and chill for 6 hours or overnight.

9. When you are ready to serve - make your whip cream by beating all your whip cream ingredients until stiff peaks form. Then top your key lime pie with whip!

All done and ready to devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment