Monday, July 1, 2013

Simple Savory Roast Potaoes - Always a Crowd Pleaser

Great for breakfast. Great for dinner. Generally great.
  O.M.G. Potatoes. I loves them. I loves them like Gollum loved the ring.

Bet you didn't know there was an alternate ending in which Sam and Smeagal opened a food truck outside Mordor selling fish n chips...
They are fabulous. I mean really. They are cheap, versatile, and delicious. I once saw a cookbook dedicated solely to potatoes that I didn't buy because I was in law school and on a budget. I still regret it.



(really beautiful photography btw)
Cute, but because its not my baby....

Love thee potatoes...
 So without actually writing "An Ode to an Irish Potato" let me get to the recipe

Simple Savory Roast Potatoes
Serves 4 in theory, but these get eaten up like no one's business. I made 5 lbs for 8 people once and I ran out. No lie.

Notes

1. These are EXCELLENT for when you have to bring a side to an event. Everyone will love you. And since you don't have to add a lot of fat they aren't too greasy either. However, while they are really easy they do take time. That's the thing about potatoes - they need a long time to cook or they are mushy and not crispy and awesome. Also - despite using nonstick and greasing my pan these always stick to the bottom, but since a simple soak cleans the pan its never stopped me making them. You find a way to get them not to stick PLEASE TELL ME! I'll love you forever (maybe).

2. I'm giving you measurements on the seasoning but the truth it that I mostly eyeball it. When I did the test run here I used the measurements but I suggest seasoning to taste.

3. Lastly, I use Yukon Gold potatoes. At HEB you can buy them in bulk and they don't cost that much more than regular potatoes. However, watch out for buying the bite sized one because they can get extremely expensive fast. Go shopping somewhere that has good produce and try not to buy them pre-packaged.

Special Equipment

1. Ceramic baking dish

Ingredients

These are the spices I use
1. 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes (you could use regular baking potatoes but I like the creaminess of
Yukon.)
2. 1 tsp salt
3. 1/2 tsp garlic salt
4. 1/2  tsp onion powder
5. Enough "Grill Mates Garlic and Onion Medley" to thoroughly season all the potatoes (see pics)
6. 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil

Directions 

1. Preheat oven to 400F.  Rub a little olive oil on the bottom of your baking dish.
2. Wash your potatoes - you'll be leaving the skin on so get 'em nice and clean.
3. Chop your potatoes into small cubes and scrape into a large mixing bowl

Yukon Gold Potatoes
Chopping them into cubes. I slice the ends of my potatoes to make cutting easier
All chopped up
 4. Pour in your olive and toss to coat all the potatoes. Then add all the seasoning and toss to coat thoroughly.
That's what mine look like when I've added a bunch of the seasoning medley mentioned in the ingredients
5. Pour them into your pan and move them into one layer. The thinner your layer, the crispier they'll be. But when you pour them don't scrape all the extra liquid at the bottom of the bowl - it'll make the potatoes soggy.

6. Bake for 45 minutes and turn the potatoes with your spatula. Bake for another 20 minutes and check. They will probably need more time depending on your oven. You want them nice and crispy and golden.

I dip mine in horseradish sauce. SOOO delish.




No comments:

Post a Comment