Thursday, June 20, 2013

Easy and Delcious Marinara Red Sauce

Good Old Fashioned Spaghetti and Meatballs
EASY AND DELICIOUS MARINARA SAUCE

I've loved Italian cooking forever but would always use jarred tomato sauces because I felt like making my own was too hard. I was intimidated. But the more I'd read about canned/processed foods the more I felt motivated to try to make as much as I could from scratch. I was really surprised by how easy it is to make good red sauce. Red sauce that tastes a heck of a lot better than the jarred stuff.

A couple notes:

1. Good sauce takes a long time. I let mine cook on the stove for a 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
2. When I did the test run recipe last night I did not have fresh herbs - they are better. If you have fresh herbs, use them.
3. One day I want to make red sauce without any cans from tomatoes I've grown myself. Emphasis here on 'one day' as that is probably wildly optimistic.
4. Unlike baking there is a lot of wiggle room here! Make it suit to taste! If you want more of a flavor - add more! Less? Decrease it! Add stuff in! Go wild.



Oh and my recipe makes A LOT of sauce. This is AWESOME for make ahead and freeze meals. I'll include my make and freeze meatballs soon. Best thing to do is to divide it up into small tupperware containers after its made so you have go-to sauce.  Next time I make this I'm going to measure the volume of sauce and compare the cost to Classico (my old go-to brand) but I'm almost positive its a lot cheaper.

Special Equipment:

1. BIG pot with LID. We got an awesome huge Calphalon pot when we got married and I'm kind of in love with it.
My big mother pot

2. A chopper or food processor if you have one. If not a knife and cutting board will do.
I spent about $10 on this 5 years ago. I have an industrial style food processor but I use this one all the time because its so easy to clean. You want it for Christmas. You know you do. 
3. A hand blender if you have one and dislike chunky sauce. My family hates chunky sauce en mass.
4. Spoon(s) for tasting (the amount you need is totally dependent upon how much your family cares if you double dip - and, of course if you're cooking for people outside your family, in which case it's kind of a no-no)

Ingredients:

This is like twice in a row I've had all my ingredient set out ahead of time. Go me!

1. 3 cans crushed tomatoes (I prefer the brand Contadina - make sure you get the unseasoned kind)
2. 1 can tomato paste
3.  1 big white onion
4. 1/2 cup matchstick carrots (I hate cooked carrots, so does my husband - but he had no idea they were in there. I think they help the flavor but omit at will)
5. 4 cloves of garlic (in my world there is no such thing as too much garlic)
6. 1/2 c. brown sugar (if you are feeling health conscious feel free to omit, but it really cuts the acidity of the tomatoes)
7. 2 tbsp olive oil
8. 1 tsp. salt
9. 3 tsp Italian Seasoning and 1 pinch rosemary OR (and better) 1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh basil, rosemary, and thyme
10. 1/4 cup of wine. Red (merlot) or white (chardonnay) - you choose. Yeah, yeah, red wine to go with red sauce but I like white wine and use it and its still awesome.
 11. (Optional) add ins like: red peppers, mushrooms, green peppers, Parmesan cheese, spinach - mix it up however you like!
Red? White? Who cares...haters gonna hate

Directions:

1. Chop up the onion, garlic, and carrots. Here's where that chopper comes in all kinds of handy. I can chop onions, I just loathe doing it. 

2. Put the olive oil in the pot and set to medium -low (about a 3). Toss the veggies in and saute on low stirring frequently until they are soft and translucent. Make sure you watch that they don't burn or turn brown. If you are adding in more vegetables, now is the time to throw them in.
That's what the veggies look like before they are sauteed

All cooked!

3. Add the tomato paste and the crushed tomatoes and stir till combined. Add some of the sugar and salt. Time to taste. Does your sauce need a touch more salt? Add it! Like it sweeter? Add more.

4. Add your seasoning - again, do this in increments. Do the same with your wine. Remember you can always add more but you can't take any out.

Here it is - ready to cook
5. Now simmer on low (about a 2) for 10 mins with the lid on. Stir occasionally.

6. Move the lid so it is partially covering the pan. Let the sauce simmer for about 25 minutes - it will reduce (i.e. the extra water will evaporate out and your sauce will be thicker). Stir occasionally.  You don't really want it to be uncovered because of this:

There is something fiendish about red sauce that makes it go SPLAT!
See how the lid is allowing some of the moisture to escape?
7. Check that it is the thickness you want. If you want it thicker let it reduce more. If you're good - let it slow cook to allow the flavors to meld and get all kinds of awesome. I leave mine on for a good hour. Sometimes more. Make sure to stir occasionally and taste test. You may find it needs a little more of something as it cooks.

Here's the sauce all done and ready to serve!

8. If your family hates chunky sauce (like mine) stick your hand blender in and chop it up (you could probably also use a blender - but maybe you're lucky and your family isn't so picky)

Serve it up and freeze the rest!

Yumminess.

 Some ideas for your red sauce: (I'll add the links as I add the recipes)

1. Spaghetti and Meatballs
2. Eggplant or Chicken Parmiagiana
3. Baked Ziti
4. Family Pizza Night
5. Tossed over store bought tortellini
6. Lasagna
7. Manacotti

Please comment with your thoughts, suggestions, and critiques!




1 comment:

  1. KK - Calypso CookcrafterJuly 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM

    Thanks! If you try it out let me know how it works - always love comments

    ReplyDelete