Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cappucino Cheesecake Brownies


So I am not a big chocolate fan (blasphemy I know) but I like brownies and I especially like cream cheese brownies. But then I thought as much as I like brownies I LOVE coffee so I thought - Cappuccino Brownies - obviously! I looked up some recipes and they did not seem any too promising. So I decided to doctor up my Cream Cheese Brownie recipe.

I should note - for me when it comes to flavor I'm of the 'Go Big or Go Home' camp. I don't believe in half measures. For me there is no such thing as 'too much garlic'. Ergo this has a strong coffee taste. Feel free to dial it down if you are looking for a mild flavor.



The Recipe:

Special Equipment:

1. Kitchen Aid with whisk and paddle attachments OR a hand mixer and some serious stamina
2. 8 x 8 brownie pan - or similar small shallow pan (I like thin brownies so I use this random glass dish I have)

Ingredients:
Coffee Mixture



1.       1 ½ tbsp. hot water
2.       4 tsp. instant coffee


Cappuccino Cream Topping



1.       2 tbsp butter – I use HEB’s salted butter
2.       1 package Philadelphia cream cheese (I’ve never found a store brand I like as much)
3.       ¼ white sugar
4.       1 egg
5.       1 ½ tbsp. flour
6.       1 tsp vanilla
7.       ½ tbsp. coffee mixture

Brownie Batter


This is the type of chocolate I use

1.       4 oz German Chocolate Bakers squares
2.       3 tbsp butter (see above)
3.       2 eggs
4.       ¾ cup sugar
5.       ½ tsp baking powder
6.       ½  cup plus 1tbsp flour
7.        1 tbsp coffee mixture
8. 1 tsp. vanilla 


Directions: 


1.       Preheat oven to 350F and grease (I use shortening) an 8 x 8 glass pan 

A good trick for greasing a pan is to wrap your hand with Saran Wrap and then you can toss it when you're done.
2.       Make the coffee mixture – combine both ingredients and set aside

I like to use the mini measuring cup. It makes a great stocking stuffer btw - tell your friends.
3.       In a double boiler, create the chocolate base for the brownies by melting the German Chocolate and 3 tbsp of butter. Do it low and slow (i.e. over low heat) and stir often. TIP: If you don’t have a double boiler try putting a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water – but use a potholder!

4.       Once chocolate and butter is mixed and melted set aside to cool.
5.       Blend 2 tbsp of butter and the package of cream cheese together until thoroughly combined. I use the paddle attachment on my kitchen aid mixer.
6.       Slowly add the ¼ cup of white sugar to the cream cheese mixture until it is completely mixed and fluffy.
7.       Add the egg, flour, and vanilla to the cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth and fluffy. Scrape your bowl often so there aren’t chunks of cream cheese.
8.       Add your coffee mixture. NOTE:  If you aren’t a big coffee fan you don’t have to add the whole amount – just do it to taste
9.       Once you’ve added the coffee and mixed your cappuccino cream mixture into a tiny bit of creamy nirvana – set it aside 

This is what my cappuccino cream looks like when its done
10.  Begin the brownie batter! Bust out your whisk attachment on your Kitchen aid – or get your arms ready with your hand mixture (sorry kid – this is going to suck). Whip your two eggs until light, airy, and fluffy. They should change color to light yellow and you should see little bubbles in them.
11.   Add your sugar and whip it. Whip it good. No seriously – it’s almost like you’re making a meringue. It needs to really thicken and keep its shape a bit while you beat it. If you do skip this and beat it too little your batter will be really runny. Its going to take you a good 5 minutes. 
This is my mixer set to 10 (way to go camera!) note how the egg mix is sort of keeping its shape as I'm beating it.
12.   Did you really beat your eggs? If yes go to 13, if no DO IT SOME MORE!

13. Now add the vanilla, flour, and baking powder. Stir till combined.
14. Go grab your cooled chocolate and stir it in. Your batter should be thick and chocolatey. 

Note that it is thick and keeping its shape a bit as it drips?
15. Now, add your coffee. You can put it all in or part - depends on how strong you want it. I'd be careful about adding more though because it might get too liquidy.
16. Pour the brownie mix into your pan (reserve a little if you want to marble - I meant to  but forgot and I actually like the non-marbled look here because it kind of resembles a cappuccino)
17. Top it with your cappuccino cream mixture and gently spread with a spatula. Add the reserve brownie batter and drag a toothpick through it to marble it if you are so inclined.
18. Bake for 35 minutes. Do not overbake. Check it earlier if need be. Use the toothpick test - if a toothpick comes out clean - its done.

Annnnndddd....


Then go clean the kitchen. Or don't. Better yet get your spouse/partner/roommate/kids to do it because, hell, you just made them kick ass brownies. 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment